This on-the-go Buffalo Chicken Wrap is healthy, super easy to make, without sacrificing a delicious flavor. Wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla and packed with veggies, this wrap makes it easy to skip the unhealthy burger and choose a healthy lunch option. The full recipe and shopping list are included below.
(Per serving. Nutrition Facts will vary with ingredient substitutions)
|Serving Size||5 servings|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||31 g|
- 2-3 tablespoons low sodium hot sauce – any brand with less than 50mg per serving
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.25lbs chicken tenders
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 5 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas (Substitute option: tortilla of choice under 200mg sodium per tortilla. Large romaine lettuce leaves can be used as well)
- 1.5 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1.5 cup sliced celery
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- 2 spoons
- Non-stick skillet/pan
- Aluminum foil
- Whisk hot pepper sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders; cook until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add to the bowl with the hot sauce; toss to coat well.
- **If you bought 2x1lb packages, cook the extra chicken and put it in a Ziploc baggie either to have on a salad for dinner one evening or in the freezer for a later use. Will last in the freezer either cooked or uncooked for 3 months.**
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl. Stir in blue cheese.
- To assemble wraps: Lay a tortilla on a piece of aluminum foil. Spread with 1 tablespoon blue cheese sauce and top with 1/5 serving of the chicken, lettuce, celery, and tomato. Drizzle with some of the hot sauce remaining in the bowl and roll into a wrap sandwich. Wrap the aluminum foil around the wrap where both ends are secured. Repeat with one other tortilla.
- For the other servings, place the chicken, lettuce, celery, and tomato in two containers. Put the sauces in another container. Once the first two wraps have been consumed, make the last three. This way the tortillas don’t get soggy by day 5, but you still have a quick and ready to go meal.
Eat neatly: Keeping the filling inside a wrap or burrito can be a challenge, especially if you’re on the go. That’s why we recommend wrapping your burrito in foil so you can pick it up and eat it without losing the filling, peeling back the foil as you go.
- 1 large tomato
- 1 container of pre-cut celery or 1 head of celery
- 1 bag cut romaine lettuce
Meat and Dairy:
- 1 ¼ lb chicken breast tenders (if you can’t find the chicken tenders buy the breasts and slice them before cooking)
o **Get as close to 1.25lbs as possible. You can go up to 1.5lbs if you find that, and just increase the protein portion in the wraps. If you need to buy 2x1lb packages, see the note in the recipe for extra chicken.**
- 1 4oz container crumbled blue cheese
- 1 5.3oz container low-fat plain yogurt (Fage, Siggis, Stonyfield Farms)
From the Aisles:
- Low sodium hot sauce – any brand or heat of choice with less than 50mg sodium per serving
- 16oz white vinegar (significantly more than you will need for the recipe, but the smaller bottles are more expensive. You can dilute and use the excess as a house cleaner)
- Reduced fat mayo (you can buy the kind made with olive oil) – if you don’t have on hand
- 8-inch whole wheat tortillas, a pack of 5 or more (Substitute option: tortilla of choice under 200mg sodium per tortilla. Large romaine lettuce leaves can be used as well)
- Cayenne pepper (at least ¼ teaspoon)
- Aluminum foil – if not on hand