Periodontitis is the inflammation or swelling of the gums and supporting structures of the teeth. This swelling and tenderness is caused by bacteria that can be present in your mouth.
Periodontitis is a common disease, especially in those who experience regular high blood sugars. What’s even more surprising is that having periodontitis can lead to high blood sugars.
Luckily, periodontitis is easily identifiable by your doctor, AND it’s easy to treat if you catch it early.
So, what should you do?
- Take care of your teeth
- Go to your Dentist regularly to screen for and prevent long-term issues
- Improve your dental hygiene
- Brush and floss your teeth twice a day to maintain a healthy mouth
- Communicate to stay healthy
- Speak to your doctor right away if you have swollen or tender gums, or are bleeding from your gums, as periodontitis is easiest to treat when found quickly
Simple habits are the building blocks of better health. With daily dental hygiene and regular health screenings, you will be on your way to a happy and healthy 2020!